Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lemon, Dandelions and Pasta


If fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.

There is really nothing at all in the garden to harvest at this time of year. So, in my sincere desire to eat from the land as much as is possible, I am forced to be adventurous. Making "lemonade" from the only thing to harvest right now: parsley, chives, lavender, rosemary and -- dandelion.

As promised in my last blog entry, dandelions are now part of the harvest. We ate them last night with oil and vinegar, and were surprised. They were tender and peppery, much like arugula. My recipe for dandelions tonight is a new creation from an old favorite, remotely like an old favorite Lemon Pasta recipe from Ina Garten. I am not sure that lemon-dandelion pasta is an appetizing name. So I think I will call it Sunshine Pasta. What do you think?

2 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 c. red onion, chopped
2 c. dandelion leaves, rinsed.
2 T. olive oil
1 t. garlic, minced
1/2 c. grated Parmesean cheese
1 lemon, juiced and grated for zest
Katamala olives (optional)
1 c. heavy cream (or milk -- I use 2%)
1 lb. fusilli pasta, cooked

Saute olive oil and garlic. Add onion and cook slightly. Add cherry tomatoes, until warm, but not cooked. Add milk. Add lemon juice and lemon zest. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook pasta until desired firmness. In separate bowl, mix pasta, cherry tomato mixture, Parmesean cheese and fresh dandelion leaves (or arugula or spinach). Add katamala if desired. Serve immediately.

The field of dandelions is full and ready to harvest. Unexpected, abundant and nutritious food. Who knew? My grandmother did.

But he said to then, "I have food to eat that you know nothing about." Then His disciples said to each other, "Could someone have brought Him food?"

"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of Him who sent me and to finish His work. "

"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest?' I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." John 4: 32-35

No comments:

Post a Comment